Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Walk Two Moons


Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Children’s Novel grade 5-8
4 stars

            Walk Two Moons is about a thirteen-year-old girl, Sal, who is on a 2000-mile road trip with her Gram and Gramps to Idaho, where her mother is.  On the road, Sal tells them a story about her friend Phoebe and the Lunatic.  Sal acts mature for her age, and she is very different from her friend Phoebe.  Once Sal gets to Idaho, Gram is very sick and needs to go to the hospital.  So Sal, goes to visit her mother’s grave on her mother’s birthday, and when she gets back she finds that Gram has died. 

            I loved this book on so many levels.  I remember reading it in school, and rereading it now I feel that I missed out on so much.  Sal has a somewhat objective view and mature personality, and I felt that I was exactly the same way growing up.  In the first chapters you can see this personality but are unsure of where it is coming from.  I really liked the notes they got from the lunatic, and seeing the difference between Sal and Phoebe’s reaction to them.  Phoebe was frightened or didn’t care and Sal was curious as to what they meant.  One thing that did bother me is the opinion of Sal when discussing the title of Native American versus Indian.  Maybe the ‘teacher’ in me sees this as politically incorrect, but Sal is merely expressing her opinion on the matter. 

            This book covers so many things that using it in the classroom would be easy.  It’s a book that you can read and then refer back to it throughout the entire year.  It would be great for a book group of 4 or 5 kids to discuss what they think about the book, and the meaning behind certain things in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment