Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Little Island

The Little Island by Margaret Wise Brown and Leonard Weisgard
Picture book: K-3rd
4 stars


The book is about a little island, and Margaret and Leonard describe the little island in the different seasons of the year. Then a little cat comes to the island and claims that she may be little but she is apart of this whole world, and the island is disconnected from the world because it is surrounded by water. Then the fish tells the cat that the little island is connected because of the world beneath the sea.

When I read this book for the first time, I caught myself reading a sentence and then looking at the picture. For example, “And the fog cam in from the sea and hid the little Island.” I would instantly look at the picture and take notice of how the island was indeed covered by fog. That’s what this book did for me. As I read picture books to children, sometimes I will just be reading the words and not taking a look at the pictures. The book also made me feel like I was on the island but invisible. It did this through the descriptions of the island. In a way, that was the one downfall of the book. It had a small plot and I felt that I could simply put the book down in the middle of the story and not care about the ending. This is the meaning of 4 stars instead of 5.
As a teacher, this would be a great book to use for teaching about descriptive words. The book is full of amazing descriptions such as, “…and one tickly smelling pear tree bloomed on the Island.” This would be a great way to show that there are other descriptive words than ‘cool’ or ‘pretty’. It would also show students how the words on a page connect to the picture. How when we read it we instantly looked at the picture to find the pear tree and see its beauty. This book could also be used in terms of ‘social studies’ how we are all apart of this big idea but we still are unique individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment