Monday, October 11, 2010

Come Along, Daisy

  Come Along, Daisy by Jane Simmons
Picture book PreK-2nd
5 stars

            “Come along, Daisy,” says Mama Duck.  But Daisy the duckling does not.  She is too busy chasing dragonflies and bouncing on lily pads.  Then, when she looks around, Mama Duck isn’t there anymore and Daisy is all alone.

             I love this book because it reminds me of my two-year olds that I watch at the daycare I work at.  I am always keeping an eye on them; to make sure they are following instructions and staying near me.  Also, the first time I read this book, I read it with my nephew who is about 18 months.  He has read it before and could point to Daisy and say her name.  This was phenomenal to me, and looking back on it, it reminds me of Mem Fox and her theory of reading aloud to children.  The illustrations are a wonderful form of acrylic painting and are fun to look at.  One of my favorite pictures is when it is a view of a tiny Daisy in the marshland weeds and the hawk is huge compared to Daisy.  Then you catch a glimpse of Daisy’s mother on the river right next to Daisy.  As the reader you are thinking, “Daisy is so close to her mother and she doesn’t even know it!”

            This book is a wonderful and gentle cautionary tale for children to stay near their parents when out and about.  As I said before, children love this book.  It is great for students who are just beginning to recognize words and the sentence structure.  I even had my nephew “read” me the story because he said, “I can’t read.” and tossed me the book.  I made him tell me what happened on each page before I read it to him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment